[vc_row][vc_column][vc_custom_heading source=”post_title” use_theme_fonts=”yes”][vc_column_text]The IDC’s goal is to identify the most promising new and emerging industries and technologies, which we will then support and nurture to become significant South African industries of the future.
Accordingly, the New Industries unit will look at trends and innovations to identify investment opportunities. Some potential sectors include:
- Additive manufacturing – including 3D printing machinery
- Alternative fuelled vehicles – including electric vehicle components and vehicle assembly, to enabling infrastructure such as recharge stations
- Fuel cells – conversion of chemicals into electricity
- Medical technologies – including the use of reactors to separate basic chemicals into medical isotopes, and expanding telemedicine procedures that include medical consultation and operations performed over the internet
- Mining technologies – including the prototyping and manufacture of new mining technology and machinery
- Renewable energy – including manufacturing components, machinery and equipment
- Water infrastructure – including factories for waste water purification to convert it back into a usable form, and the construction of water desalination plants to service agricultural, industrial and household needs.